Vacations Are A Great Time For Spiritual Refreshing


Memorial Day weekend has passed, college students are home, schools are letting out, and vacations will soon be under way. It's summer!

Once summer hits many folks head to the shore. Whether it's Jones or Orchard Beach, the Hamptons, the Jersey Shore, Ocean City, or a trip to the islands we love to head to the ocean when the weather gets warm. 2,000 years ago, following Jesus' resurrection, He took a trip to the shore. It was on the beach one morning that Jesus would challenge His disciples to continue to follow Him, as he restored Peter with the charge of, “feed my sheep." (John 21:17)

In fact, it was during a camping trip that the children of Israel experienced the presence of God in Exodus, it was a boat ride that would take Jonah back to fulfill God's call, a trip to the mountain would result in God's Word being given through Moses, and some unplanned time on the islands would result in the Gospel being preached to the people of Malta and John receiving his Revelation. Granted, these weren't vacations, and I realize I’m using a little “poetic license” with my descriptions, but we will find ourselves in similar locations over the next couple of months.

I remember early on in my walk with God the importance of a couple camping trips with brothers in Christ. These were days set apart for fun, relaxation, and calling on God. Be sure to incorporate some time alone with God in addition to your fun in your summer down time. When we rented an RV and drove to Arizona one summer we read through the book of Romans on our journey by incorporating a brief family reading time into each of our days. Get creative. You’ll be glad you did.

My prayer for the church this summer will be for us to encounter the true and living God as well. Whether a day at the park, or a trip far away, God wants to be a part of your life in every way. Now where did I put my flip-flops?

Following the Son,

James A Williams

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Had What I Needed Today. I Always Do.

It’s My Turn To Be The Pop

Christmas Reactions: A Look At The Responses To Jesus' Birth