I Had What I Needed Today. I Always Do.


Where’s the checkbook?
I had searched high and low, and hadn’t been able to locate one. We rarely use checks for anything anymore, but I found myself in need of one. With my wife out of town I had called for some help. Sarai described to me where I would find them. In a red bag on top of a yellow bag under some sweaters beside the hamper in the spare bedroom. You may wonder why this is where we keep our checkbook. I may wonder why this is where we keep our checkbook. But after 28 years of marriage I’ve learned to not ask too many questions, and to stick primarily to nodding and smiling.

I told her I loved her, followed the instructions, and soon had the checkbook in hand. Hmm? Next to the checkbook was a small blue folder that I immediately recognized. It’s where we keep our passports. I was a little surprised to find it here, because my wife was in Puerto Rico. You don’t need a passport to go to Puerto Rico, but my wife almost always carries hers with her when she travels. I never carry mine unless I’m flying international.

Ever have one of those moments where you feel like you should do something for no explainable reason? This happens to me sometimes, but usually involves consuming an entire pizza or seeing how far I can throw a big block of ice or something. This one was different. I took the passports out and put them in my shoulder bag. It’s not a purse! It’s just a bag that I put over my shoulder to carry things which has nothing in common with a purse other than size and function.

This all happened yesterday. Today my son picked me up to go to Laguardia with him. When he was a little boy he always said he wanted to be a pilot. My Mom tells me that when I was a little boy I used to carry a wastebasket around the house saying when I grew up I was going to be a garbage collector. Instead I became a Pastor...we’ll leave that one alone. Nathaniel grew up and became a pilot. He’s flown planes for years. Today is different.

Today is Nathaniel’s first commercial flight. He was scheduled for Richmond, VA. I came to the airport with him so that I could fly with him on his first commercial passenger flight. I’m snapping pics and smiling as a proud Papa when we experienced a hiccup. He’s not flying to Richmond, he’s now flying to Montreal. At first I was so disappointed, but then through some quick switches of luggage I had myself checked in online for the flight to Montreal. Then came the question.

“Do you have your passport?”

“Yes...yes I do. It’s right here in my very masculine looking shoulder bag that is nothing like a purse.”

Our God gives you everything you need.” II Thessalonians 1:2

I’m a student of Scripture and understand well that this passage isn’t really speaking about having a passport when you need it. Or maybe it is. 

Father knew it was the desire of my heart to be with my little boy on his first commercial flight. Father knew we weren’t going to Richmond, but rather we were going to Montreal. Father looks out for me far better then I ever look out for my son.

He’s a good, good, Father.

I’m trying to be a good Father too, so I’m hanging out at Terminal B Carousel C for a few hours waiting for a flight to another country that I have no reason to go to whatsoever. And I’m tearing up a little bit as I write this. It’s a good thing I have some tissues with me in this shoulder bag I carry that is nothing like a purse.

Following the Son,

James A Williams

Comments

  1. Oh my goodness. I am so blessed to read this, as i remember the times when I did things I didn’t understand at the time, and in looking back, I see God’s sovereignty in details.
    Thank you Pastor Jimmy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truly amazing how Father directs our paths. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful post! The fruit of your parenting years has harvested. Such an amazing place to be I know all parents pray one day we will reach. Congratulations to you and Sarai! Proud moment. -Celenia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Love watching your children grow as well, and can’t wait to see where Father leads them. Parenting isn’t always easy, but it sure is worth it.

      Delete
  3. Wow pastor williams what a great story of a father's love for his son I'm so glad you had the opportunity to experience your son's first commercial flight so touching and thank you for sharing.πŸ™πŸ™❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s My Turn To Be The Pop

Christmas Reactions: A Look At The Responses To Jesus' Birth