The Trick or Treaters Are Coming


Imagine a day like this. The families in your neighborhood all come outside on the same evening and come to your home and knock on your door.
I know, I know, I scared you because you imagined all your neighbors became Jehovah's Witnesses, but that's not what I'm talking about. It's called Halloween.
Halloween is pretty controversial among believers. We all agree that witches and demons are evil and shouldn't be played around with. It's the other stuff we debate. Can I love Jesus and still dress like Buzz Lightyear and eat Kit Kats stuff?
Let me sneak in a few quick thoughts.
  1. A lot of the stuff you read about the origins of Halloween isn't even true. Scholars debate greatly over the beginning of it. Also, remember that you can just as easily argue that Easter and Christmas are of pagan origin as you can Halloween. In fact, more easily. When you tell people you don't participate because of the day's origin, yet you do participate in days with the same origin you make yourself look foolish.
  2. We chose not to participate in Halloween with our sons. I didn't really like the day, so for us the day became about outreach. (I'll get to that next). Not participating didn't make us more spiritual or Holy than those who did. Heaven and Hell aren't riding on whether your child ever dresses up like Superman or not, and Jesus didn't go to the cross to set us free from eating Laffy Taffy. We didn't like the day so we chose not to participate in some of the day's activities, but we never made the day out to be more than it really is. 
  3. October 31st is the easiest day to reach the families of your neighborhood all year. "Make the most of every opportunity in these evil days." Ephesians 5:16. We have a unique opportunity rapidly approaching. When my sons were young we would stay home on Halloween and when trick or treaters came to the door we would give them candy and an invitation to children's church. If we recognized them as from the neighborhood I would introduce myself, and use it as an opportunity to connect with my neighbors. If they were 15 with no costume and a pillow case I told them to get off my porch, and go get a job. Many churches offer outreaches on the day where you can volunteer and be a light in the darkness of your town or city. Make the most of the opportunity. There's nothing noble about sitting at home with the lights off hiding when all your neighbors want to talk to you. You're the light of the world (Matthew 5:14). Go shine.
Whether you participate in trick or treating or not is your call on Halloween. I have little interest in debating it. I sure hope you will be the salt of the earth. I also hope you won't allow the day to create division between you and your brothers and sisters.

Following the Son,

James A Williams

Comments

  1. My kids are 11, 12, and soon to be 14. They will be allowed to trick or treat until they choose not to. I chose to let them be kids... and most kids trick or treat. What makes a 14 year old acceptable and all of a sudden a 15 year old needs to "get a job". Really? That kid who isn't in costume, likely spent the last month saying he was too old to trick or treat and so he didn't get one. Only vampires and zombies get candy? Not in my books. Shoot, I'll happily hand out treats to adults who look bored tagging long with their littles. It's good to remind everyone it's only one night. My kids struggle with wanting to be grown up already. Wishing they could get a job. What's wrong with being little for a little longer? They have the rest of their lives to be grown ups with jobs. Trick or treat away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My attempt at humor was clearly lost there. Sorry to have offended you in any way. This post is more about not wanting things like this to create division among believers, and the importance of believers being lights in their community. I hope your kids have fun this, and every year. Blessings!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Had What I Needed Today. I Always Do.

It’s My Turn To Be The Pop

Christmas Reactions: A Look At The Responses To Jesus' Birth