Bears And Snakes And Sharks, Oh My!


Dylan McWilliams was recently bitten by a shark. He was in Hawaii at the time...probably in the ocean. I love the ocean, but when I’m swimming in it I sometimes wonder where the sharks are at. Dylan said when it happened he wasn’t sure how badly he was hurt at first. Fortunately he’s going to be okay just like he was ok after a bear attacked him. You read that right. A bit back Dylan was mauled by a bear, and had to have staples in his scalp. As bad as that was he pulled through just like he did when a rattlesnake bit him. You read that right. Somehow Dylan has been bit by a rattlesnake, mauled by a bear, and attacked by a shark. And he’s only 20 so a rabid squirrel is bound to get him at some point.

Dylan’s life seems like, “A Series Of Unfortunate Events.” If he was my friend I would wear a suit of armor whenever I was with him. 

Doesn’t have to be animal attacks to be what can make you feel like you’re in a season where things just aren’t going your way. Daniel Powter’s song, “You Had A Bad Day,” is one we can all relate to at times. That guy is Canadian and they’re always happy, Eh? Truth is we all have some lousy days. 

The faithful love of the LORD never ends! His mercies never cease. Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each morning.” Lamentations 3:22-23

I recently spoke with a man who was about to enter a bar. He was a surgical nurse and two patients had died during his most recent shift. He was clearly down and had resolved that what he needed to get through his day was to get drunk. I acknowledged how difficult his experience must have been, but encouraged him to remember that tomorrow was a new day. I didn’t know the man, it was simply a “divine appointment” God set up for me. We talked a bit, and he thanked me as he shook my hand. I hope he begins to put his trust in God’s fresh mercy.

I hope you will as well. I’m sure seeking to. And as for Dylan, I hope he never goes to the zoo.

Tomorrow’s a new day, a new work/school week. Forget what lies behind and press on in Christ. (Philippians 3:13) 
You got this.

Following the Son,

James A Williams

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Had What I Needed Today. I Always Do.

It’s My Turn To Be The Pop

Christmas Reactions: A Look At The Responses To Jesus' Birth