We Won't Rake Leaves In The Kingdom

Yesterday I had the joy of introducing my little grandson to Autumn leaves. There was a great deal of laughter and excitement as we took turns burying each other, and tossing them into the air. Fall is my favorite season, but it's also a reminder that Winter will soon be upon us. I have a friend who moved to NY from Guyana in the winter. Not long after his arrival he asked someone why no one cuts down all the dead trees. The leafless trees of Winter were a new sight for him coming from a tropical climate, and he had to be taught that life would return.

Even in a tropical climate there are seasons, and crops are harvested at certain times of year. This won't always be the case though. In Ezekiel, Daniel, and Revelation we find that things will be different in eternity.

"Fruit trees of all kinds will grow on both banks of the river. Their leaves will not wither, nor will their fruit fail." Ezekiel 47:12

As beautiful as Fall can be, it reminds us that a cold dark Winter is approaching. 

"Autumn is a second Spring when every leaf is a flower." -Albert Camus


The leaves are beautiful, and then they die. We rake them, bag them, burn them, and throw them away. But they don't only remind us that Winter is coming. They also remind us that a kingdom is coming. The kingdom of God where nothing ever dies. 

As I played in the leaves with young Josiah I enjoyed the moment, but also remembered. Remembered previous falls when I played in the leaves with my nephews, with my sons, and with my brothers. The leaves have created some fun memories. Yet, they also remind me to look ahead to a day when they will no longer fall. A day when nothing will. 

Let Fall remind you not only that Winter is coming, but also a kingdom. We won't rake in that kingdom. In the Kingdom of God nothing dies.

Following the Son,

James A Williams

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Had What I Needed Today. I Always Do.

It’s My Turn To Be The Pop

Christmas Reactions: A Look At The Responses To Jesus' Birth