Treasures In Earthen Vessels


But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us.” II Corinthians 4:7

I heard a great message that I jotted down this past year about this verse above. I don’t recall who shared it, but just want to note that I’m springing off of someone else’s thoughts. I found this both challenging and encouraging.

In Paul’s day vessels carried 3 things:

Trash
Vessels were used to transport trash. Garbage had to be transported out of town. Had you and I lived in the first century we would have a clay vessel used for our trash just as we have wastebaskets in our homes today.

Trinkets
Clay vessels were also used to store things. Perhaps you have a drawer in your kitchen or desk that is filled with all sorts of random items. Commonly referred to as the “junk drawer.” Had we lived 2,000 years ago we would have had a junk jar.

Treasure
Finally, you would keep your treasures, or your valuables, in an earthen vessel. You couldn’t leave your precious items on the floor. They had to be stored, and for this you would use a jar of clay.

The Bible refers to you and I as earthen vessels. Jars of clay.

The question is what are we storing in our vessels.

Trash? If we allow our lives to be filled with sin we are. That was never God’s plan for us.
Trinkets? If we allow our lives to be filled with things we are. Too often our lives are filled with the pursuit of things. That was never God’s plan for us.
Treasures? This is God’s plan for our lives. The treasure Paul refers to are the things of God, and it is when our lives are filled with godly things that the all-surpassing power of God is manifested in our lives.

So what are we filling our lives with? Trash? Trinkets? Or Treasure?

Let’s choose Christ and experience the power of God.

Following the Son,

James A Williams

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Had What I Needed Today. I Always Do.

It’s My Turn To Be The Pop

Christmas Reactions: A Look At The Responses To Jesus' Birth