There’s Nothing Gray About 50 Shades Of Grey


There's no shortage of controversy surrounding the movie series, 50 Shades of Grey. The latest edition was released to theaters this past weekend. The controversy is with good reason. Although many movies and tv shows are ungodly these are movies so vile that the entire country of Malaysia outlawed the original, England rated it NC17, and many theater owners refused to give it screen time in America. Yet the newest version was the leader at the box office on its’ opening weekend.

This past year the #metoo movement prompted civic groups to threaten boycotts and sponsorships to be pulled over sexual exploitation and abuse. Yet, many of these same groups and corporations have remained strangely silent about the release of a movie series that objectifies women in such a vile way. There is nothing grey about abuse, exploitation, prostitution, or any other sexual sin. This is all black and white...crystal clear. 

I’m never surprised when unbelievers act like unbelievers. The hypocrisy of the entertainment industry isn’t alarming to me in any way. When the blind lead the blind they fall in a ditch (Matthew 15:14). When unbelievers speak out against the exploitation of women and then support the exploitation of women it doesn’t even seem strange to me. It’s who they are.

I am surprised when believers act like unbelievers. We aren’t who we used to be. Child of God never forget your Father, “called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.” I Peter 2:9. I am saddened when I hear about the children of God supporting what is ungodly, and acting like children of the devil.
T
When my boys were growing up I would on occasion hear the appeal, “but Billy gets to do it.” My response was always the same. “Billy is not my son.” I wanted my boys to understand that their Father had a level of expectation that wasn’t dictated by what other parents did or didn’t do. In the Kingdom of God our Father has raised a higher standard over our lives than the devil’s children have over their lives. This isn’t works righteousness. It’s holiness.

Our bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, and as such are to be used for the glory of God. What we view with our eyes is to the glory of God. What we listen to with our ears is to the glory of God. What we eat and drink is to the glory of God. If you can’t do it to the glory of God, than you can’t do it. 

So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.” I Corinthians 10:31

True love is a beautiful thing. In fact, Paul calls it "the greatest" thing in I Corinthians 13. Love is demonstrated for us by our Savior laying His life down for us. Our God loves us with an everlasting love. Let's keep loving Him back, and as we do follow Paul's call to young Timothy;

If you keep yourself pure, you will be a special utensil for honorable use. Your life will be clean, and you will be ready for the Master to use you for every good work.” II Timothy 2:21

Following the Son,

James A Williams

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Had What I Needed Today. I Always Do.

It’s My Turn To Be The Pop

Christmas Reactions: A Look At The Responses To Jesus' Birth