Paul And My Nany Had Something In Common


She was 95 and had been bedridden for some time. Four years ago I was sitting with my grandmother talking about life. She’s with Jesus now, and greatly missed. She laid there in her bed, and I sat in the chair next to her. That’s when she said it.

“I’ve learned you just have to be satisfied with what you have.”

I quickly grabbed a pen and wrote it down.

Her words could have been lifted from the page of Paul’s epistle to the believers in Philippi.

I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.” Philippians 4:11-13

Philippians 4:13 is one of the most misused passages of Scripture. We use the well known, “I can do all things,” verse to refer to everything from sports to dealing with things at work. While there’s no denying God can give us strength in every situation, Paul was referring to something very specific.

The “all things” Paul was referring to was being content no matter what things were like. In seasons of plenty he was content. In times of need he was content. Anyone can be content in times of plenty, but being content in times of need is difficult. Paul said he could do it though because God would give him strength. Paul couldn’t always do this, rather he said he “learned” how to do this.

It’s an important lesson for all of us to learn. Life is filled with ups and downs, so being content through it all is so important.

Paul learned it.
My grandmother learned it.
As for me class is still in session, but I’m getting there.

Following the Son,
James A Williams

(Here’s a pic of my grandmother from many years ago. She was a beautiful woman all her life.)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Had What I Needed Today. I Always Do.

It’s My Turn To Be The Pop

Christmas Reactions: A Look At The Responses To Jesus' Birth