What Do You Say When You Talk To Yourself?


"What do you say when you talk to yourself?" 

I first heard Dr. Richard Dobbins ask that question. It's a pretty important one. As believers we are hopefully growing more and more into the people God created us to be. That means becoming more and more like God as we are transformed into his image. When God speaks to us he speaks to our potential and who we are in him. Becoming like him should mean that this is how we speak over ourselves and others as well.

This is illustrated for us when God sends an angel to speak to Gideon. He's in hiding at the time in fear of his enemies. An angel shows up in the room with him and speaks some unexpected words.

"When the angel of the LORD appeared to Gideon, he said, "The LORD is with you, mighty warrior'." Judges 6:12

Gideon may not have been acting like a mighty warrior at the time, but God saw Gideon walking in who he was made to be. Remember he's, "the God who gives life to the dead and calls into being things that were not." (Romans 4:17). 

Be sure to see yourself as who you are in Christ. As you speak words of faith over your life you will walk in them.

I stopped into Starbucks for a coffee this morning. They asked for my name so they could call me when my coffee was ready. I gave the same name I usually give, "Mighty Warrior." The woman asked to see my birth certificate, we all had a good chuckle, and a few moments later it was called out. 

"Mighty Warrior!"

I stepped forward and accepted my beverage. I know who I am. I am who God says I am. Others may speak negatively over you or me in life, but let's never speak that way over ourselves.

Following the Son,

James A Williams

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Had What I Needed Today. I Always Do.

It’s My Turn To Be The Pop

Christmas Reactions: A Look At The Responses To Jesus' Birth