I Don't Say Y'all Anymore


Most of us know the story of Moses leading the children of Israel out of Egypt. Thinking of it we tend to recall the plagues, crossing the Red Sea on dry ground, and the Egyptian army being swallowed up by the water.

Before we get to most of that some haggling goes on between Moses and Pharaoh. Pharaoh doesn't want to lose his free work force, but Moses doesn't plan on sticking around. After a number of plagues Pharaoh calls for Moses and offers a compromise. 

"Then Pharaoh summoned Moses and Aaron and said, 'Go, sacrifice to your God here in the land'." Exodus 8:25.

Did you catch that? Pharaoh was a shrewd fellow, and he knows something about people. As long as they're in Egypt, and as long as the Hebrew people are surrounded by Egyptian people, nothing was really going to change. That's because, whether we like it or not, we conform to our surroundings. 

I don't say y'all anymore. If I do it's forced. After 23 years in New York my plural pronoun is now "you guys." I don't even know when it happened. Somehow over the years I conformed to those around me. It happens to all of us. When it comes to "y'all" or "you guys" that's really no big deal. However when it comes to our character that's a very big deal.

"Do not be misled: "Bad company corrupts good character." I Corinthians 15:33. 

Pharaoh knew that as long as the Hebrew people hung out around Egyptian people they would keep living like slaves. Moses knew, "we have to get out of here."

"Therefore, come out from among unbelievers, and separate yourselves from them, says the LORD." II Corinthians 6:17.

Spending time with unbelievers is important for us. We're the light of the world and the salt of the earth. However, being cautious is vital. Whether we like it or not others rub off on us just as we do on them. If you have relationships that are drawing you away from Christ it may be time to take a break from that relationship. We're on a journey of transformation and renewal. Let's make sure we reach our destination.

Following the Son,

James A Williams

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Had What I Needed Today. I Always Do.

It’s My Turn To Be The Pop

Christmas Reactions: A Look At The Responses To Jesus' Birth