Hit The Mute Button And Be Still


There's a great account in the Bible of a boy learning to hear from God. His name was Samuel, and he would grow up to be a great prophet. In Samuel's later years we read of conversations he has with God. He had to grow into that relationship. When God first speaks to him in his youth things were different. He heard the voice of God with such clarity, but he didn't know who it was. He actually thought the priest was calling him from another room.

Now Samuel did not yet know the Lord: The word of the Lord had not yet been revealed to him. A third time the Lord called, “Samuel!” And Samuel got up and went to Eli and said, “Here I am; you called me.” Then Eli realized that the Lord was calling the boy. So Eli told Samuel, “Go and lie down, and if he calls you, say, ‘Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening.’” So Samuel went and lay down in his place. The Lord came and stood there, calling as at the other times, “Samuel! Samuel!” Then Samuel said, “Speak, for your servant is listening.” And the Lord said to Samuel: 'See, I am about to do something in Israel that will make the ears of everyone who hears about it tingle." 
I Samuel 3:7-11.

God would go on to reveal to Samuel some of what he was going to do in the future. In time Samuel would get to know the voice of God. In time we all should. Jesus taught us that his sheep know his voice.

Sometimes when I'm watching a game my wife speaks to me from another room. Usually I can hear that she's speaking, but don't know what she's saying. Sometimes she comes to the door and asks if I heard her, and I won't even know she said anything. It's too noisy where I am. The ac is on, the tv is on, Doritos are crunching in my mouth, and I'm busy correcting the game officials. When I hear her call me I hit the mute button. At times in order to hear we need to get quiet.

That's often the case with God. His voice is described in the Scriptures differently. In Job God roars. In Exodus he thunders. Yet, to Elijah his voice is, "a gentle whisper." I Kings 19:12.

To hear the gentle whisper of God you're going to need to hit the mute button in life. We do this by finding a quiet place to be alone. For me that's usually early in the morning, although sometimes it's out walking on a trail. For you it may be in the evening or on a lunch break. When isn't all that important. 

When you find it pray Samuel's prayer. "Speak Lord, your servant is listening." If you're afraid you won't know for sure if you're hearing from God or not then you're in good company. Samuel didn't know either. As you get to know the Scriptures and draw near to him though you'll know. You're his child. He's your Father. Just remember to hit the mute button on everything else.

Following the Son,

James A Williams

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Had What I Needed Today. I Always Do.

It’s My Turn To Be The Pop

Christmas Reactions: A Look At The Responses To Jesus' Birth