Dirty Feet And A Servant's Towel


Everyone's feet are dirty.

As the disciples and Jesus sit around the table during Passover everyone has dirty feet. It's the last supper. When you entered a home in the first century there would be water at the door. Roads were dirt, most folks were in sandals or barefoot, and feet got dirty. They needed to be washed. As you entered a home your host would have your feet washed. A servant may have done this, or the host themselves may have humbled themselves and poured the water and towel dried your feet on their own. Your feet were dirty. They needed to be washed.

She came and knelt down in front of me. I was in Zambia. In her hands she held a bowl of water. We were guests in her home and there was no running water. I was seated at the dining table. She had prepared us lunch. It was one of the most awkward moments of my life. I was told to hold out my hands, and she proceeded to wash and dry them. It wasn't my feet, but it was such a moving experience. She then proceeded to go around the table and wash everyone's hands. That was 12 years ago, yet I remember it like it happened this morning. You don't forget things like that. The disciples would have never forgotten what happened at their meal either.

"Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under his power, and that he had come from God and was returning to God; so he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist. After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples’ feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him." John 13:3-5.

No one had washed anyone's feet when they came in. To do so would have been an acknowledgement that you were lower than the others. The disciples had recently argued over who was the greatest among them, so everyone's feet stayed dirty. Jesus changed that. 

"I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you." John 13:15.

Odds are you won't wash anyone's feet today. We wear socks and shoes now. We walk on sidewalks. Bathing is something we do before we leave our homes. Yet, the example remains. When I pastored there was a brother in our church named Luis. Every Sunday after service he would go and get a broom, dustpan, and walk throughout the church sweeping up. I never asked him to do it. He reminded me a lot of Jesus. When Jesus washed the disciple's feet he asked them afterwards if they understood what he had done. Luis and the woman in Zambia did.

As we get dressed for church this morning I hope we'll all tie towels around our waists. 

Following the Son,
James A Williams

(The woman on the left in today's photo is who I speak of in today's blog. She reminds me of Jesus)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Had What I Needed Today. I Always Do.

It’s My Turn To Be The Pop

Christmas Reactions: A Look At The Responses To Jesus' Birth