After These Things


"After these things," Genesis 15:1.
God promised Abraham in Genesis 12 that he would make a great nation from him, but by the time we get to chapter 15 he's aging fast and there's still no son. This is where we find the words above. They beg the question, "after what things?" A quick review reveals some real highs and lows. He went to Egypt during the famine and lied about who his wife was, but he also put together a little army and rescued his nephew Lot when he was taken captive in a battle. The "things" include times where he was God's man of the hour, yet other times where he demonstrates an enormous lack of faith. Life is like that. Things happen. Sometimes we come through and shine. Other times...well, not so much.
In Genesis 15 God visits Abraham, and Abe reminds God that he has no son, but then he seems to offer God an "out." He tells God that Eliezer, his servant, will be his heir. I know he's complaining a bit, but it was also an acceptable custom in his day to make your servant your heir if you didn't have a son. They would become part of the family. I think Abraham may be saying, "I know you promised me a son, but things have happened. So if you need to go in a different direction now I understand. It's not that you won't have fulfilled your promise, it's that I messed up." 
God, however, doesn't accept this response. Instead he takes him outside and shows him the stars. "That's how many descendants you will have." God keeps his promises. Even when "things" happen in life he's still faithful. As you look over your life I'm sure there have been times when you have shined, and times where you have fallen flat. Go outside and look at the stars this evening. Let them remind you that God's promises are grounded in His faithfulness, not your performance. Trust His timing, keep serving Him, the deal's still on.

Following the Son,

James A Williams

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Had What I Needed Today. I Always Do.

It’s My Turn To Be The Pop

Christmas Reactions: A Look At The Responses To Jesus' Birth