I Knew The Yonkers Leprechaun


Today is St Patrick’s Day. You probably knew that, but if not I have reminded you. The actual St Patrick planted over 300 churches and baptized 120,000 people in his lifetime. That’s absolutely incredible.

For almost  20 years of my life I looked forward to something on St Patrick’s Day that was completely unrelated. You see, I knew where to find a leprechaun. In Yonkers, NY on the corner of Roberts and Nepperhan Ave is where he would be. Jess Buzzutto was what his parents had named him, but that’s not how we knew him. For thousands of Yonkers residents he was known as the “Yonkers Leprechaun.”

On a dreary corner in a commercial area of the city he maintained his thousands of flowers in the Spring, and his thousands of lights at Christmas. But this was his day. He dressed like a leprechaun year round, and always greeted those who passed by. Whether you were driving, biking, walking, or hopping on a pogo stick, he would offer you a smile and a wave. On St Patrick’s Day it seemed to brighten everyone’s day a little extra. After all, he was a leprechaun.

That corner of Yonkers sits dark now. The Christmas lights aren’t displayed any longer, and the flower beds have overgrown from lack of care. No one stands on the corner to tip their hat and smile. The Yonkers Leprechaun is definitely missed.

Okay, I’ll grant you it was rather unusual. If someone in my family began dressing like a leprechaun everyday, and standing on the corner waving I would probably think they were a few coins short of a pot of gold. That said, Jess Buzzutto did brighten his world. Children loved that corner, and we all had fun with it.

On this day when we honor a man who shined the light of Jesus to so many, my memory of a leprechaun calls me to brighten my world. I encourage you to do so as well.

You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden.” Matthew 5:14.

Jesus spoke those words. He declared himself to be the light of the world, and then spoke that same truth over us. Christ is in us. Let’s brighten someone’s day with the light. St Patrick’s prayer will help us to do this.

Christ with me,
Christ before me,
Christ behind me,
Christ in me,
Christ beneath me,
Christ above me,
Christ on my right,
Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie down,
Christ when I sit down,
Christ when I arise,
Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me,
Christ in every eye that sees me,
Christ in every ear that hears me.”
-Saint Patrick

Following the Son,

James A Williams

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Had What I Needed Today. I Always Do.

It’s My Turn To Be The Pop

Christmas Reactions: A Look At The Responses To Jesus' Birth