An Unlikely Winner: Just Like Me


Stephen Bradbury was an unlikely medal winner in the 1992 Winter Olympics.  He advanced through every round only because other speed skaters either fell or were disqualified.  In his final race, over 50 yards behind the leaders, every skater collided and fell and he coasted across the finish line to win Australia's first ever Winter Olympic gold medal. It was truly a case of "the last shall be first."

It wasn't that Bradbury hadn't worked hard to get there. He had trained for years, and training accidents had nearly cost him his life on two occasions. Years of hard work and determination had finally paid off, and yet even he knew that he wasn't really the best. (Look him up on YouTube. You’ll be glad you did).

Sometimes we may look around at others at church or in ministry and think, no matter how hard I try I can't be like them. The good news is you don't have to be. You just have to stay focused on who God has called you to be, and in the end you win.  You receive a crown of life that never perishes thanks to the grace of God.

“Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day--and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.” II Timothy 4:8

Following The Son,

James A Williams

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Had What I Needed Today. I Always Do.

It’s My Turn To Be The Pop

Christmas Reactions: A Look At The Responses To Jesus' Birth