Some Disney Line Jumpers Reminded Me To Fast


Many years ago I visited Disney World in Orlando, Florida. If you have ever thought to yourself that you would like to give someone $125.00 so that you can stand in line in the hot sun all day then Disney will be great for you. You can also get a soda in a collectable for $12.00. These cups are great for taking up space in your cabinet while never actually being used again. I think you can also stand in line all day in New Jersey at Six Flags Great Adventure for only about $75.00. That's a bargain.

When I was standing in line there were people who would magically (this was Disney) appear at the front of the line and cut in front of all of us. They had what was called a "fast pass." It should have been called a "make me almost lose my sanctification coupon," but that doesn't have as nice a ring to it. These folks had signed up to walk right through. If I had seen Mickey I would have had a word with him about it, but he was no where to be found. So I waited.

That "fast pass" had a lot in common with what many believers have been doing to begin the year, and something all believers should have as a part of their lives. Of course, I’m speaking of fasting. During this season of fasting and prayer we're putting our prayers on a "fast track" to God.

In the Scriptures when folks were serious about;
reaching out to God for help,
genuine in their repentance,
desperate for guidance,
and just hungry for God,
fasting was often a part of their journey.

A couple of examples would be:

While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, ‘Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them’.” Acts 13:2

“Go, gather together all the Jews who are in Susa, and fast for me. Do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. I and my attendants will fast as you do. When this is done, I will go to the king, even though it is against the law. And if I perish, I perish.” Esther 4:16

These believers who went before us understood the importance of fasting and set a great example for us to follow. That's why we make it a part of ours as well. If you’re on a 21 day fast right now I want to encourage you to keep fasting and prayer as a regular part of your life this year. As you do you can be sure of breakthroughs in your life. If you haven’t begun the year with a fast I want to encourage you to be sure to plan to fast 

A little like those line jumpers, only in this case we all get to go first.

Following the Son,

James A Williams

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Had What I Needed Today. I Always Do.

It’s My Turn To Be The Pop

Christmas Reactions: A Look At The Responses To Jesus' Birth