Gymnast Rachael Denhollander’s Incredible Display Of Grace


Over the past few days the trial for Olympic Dr. Larry Nassar has been pretty big in the news. Nassar has plead guilty to sexually assaulting a staggering number of female gymnasts over a period of years. As a part of his plea deal those he assaulted get to speak to him at his sentencing. Every one of these women has every right to be angry with him over the hurt he caused them. Nothing seems unusual to me about hearing some of them lash out at him for the pain he inflicted.

What was unusual were the words from gymnast Rachael Denhollander. She spoke at length, and I’ve read much but not all of the transcript. Her entire discourse is powerful, but I want to highlight a portion that I found literally incredible. Bear in mind that you’re reading the words of a victim.

“Should you ever reach the point of truly facing what you have done, the guilt will be crushing. And that is what makes the gospel of Christ so sweet. Because it extends grace and hope and mercy where none should be found. And it will be there for you.

I pray you experience the soul crushing weight of guilt so you may someday experience true repentance and true forgiveness from God, which you need far more than forgiveness from me—though I extend that to you as well.” 

She has every right to feel anger. She has every right to want justice. She chooses to extend grace.

For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.” Matthew 6:14-15

When hurts are severe forgiveness is often more of a process, rather than an individual act. It still begins with a decision. A choice to forgive. I don’t know how long it took Rachael to get to the position of strength she exhibits today, but I do know she chooses to not live in bitterness. To do so would be to allow Nassar to continue to take from her. As a forgiven woman, she chooses grace.

All of us have experienced some severe hurts along the way in life. Human nature is to continue to hold onto those hurts. To allow them to fester and grow. Yet when we do this we only hurt ourselves. Let’s choose to forgive. It may take time for that grace you extend to be completed in your heart, but the path to healing begins with a choice.

A choice a powerful woman named Rachel Denhollander made.

“I extend (forgiveness) to you as well.”

Easy? Definitely not. 
Possible? You can do all things with though Christ who gives you strength.
I’m praying for you.

Following the Son,

James A Williams

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Had What I Needed Today. I Always Do.

It’s My Turn To Be The Pop

Christmas Reactions: A Look At The Responses To Jesus' Birth