Christians And Alcohol: Just A Few Thoughts


(You probably already have a strong opinion on this day's subject matter, but I really hope you'll read all the way through this. Then feel free to share your thoughts with me, or follow up with any questions. Thanks, and know that I love and pray for all who read this each day, which has been several thousand a day of recent. Wow!)

Wine is a mocker and beer a brawler; whoever is led astray by them is not wise. Proverbs 20:1

Woe to those who rise early in the morning to run after their drinks, who stay up late at night till they are inflamed with wine. Isaiah 5:11

Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is. Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery, but instead be filled with the Spirit. Ephesians 5:17-18

The Bible records many people drinking wine.
When Noah drank wine he ended up in his tent naked and his son cursed.
When Lot drank wine he had sex with his daughters.
When the Israelites drank waiting for Moses they made the golden calf.
David tried to get Uriah to drink wine to trick him so he could cover up his sin with Bathsheba.
When Ammon drank he ended up raping his half sister.

There is no record anywhere in the Scriptures of anyone benefitting from drinking alcohol.

Timothy had to be told by Paul to "take a little wine for his belly" because on his own he wouldn't touch it. Wine was used medicinally in this day, but he still wouldn't drink it.

Wine is a mocker and beer a brawler; whoever is led astray by them is not wise. Proverbs 20:1

Those who were set apart for a purpose in the Scriptures stayed away from wine. 
Priests on duty couldn't touch it. You couldn't drink wine and enter the presence of God.
It is not for kings to drink wine, not for rulers to crave beer. Proverbs 31:4
Nazarites (such as John the Baptist) drank no alcohol.

I know, I know, you want to tell me that Jesus turned the water into wine. His first miracle. A quick study will reveal to you that in the Roman culture water was mixed with wine. Some sources I read say that it would take as much as 20 glasses of wine in Jesus' day to equal the alcohol content in one martini today. I'm not an alcohol expert, and although I'm getting up there, I wasn't at the wedding when he performed this miracle. I have no way of knowing the alcohol content although it is common knowledge in our own country that the alcohol content in beverages is steadily increasing. What I do know is that every time the Bible speaks about alcohol it speaks negatively filled with warnings.

In the end it bites like a snake and poisons like a viper. Proverbs 23:32

When you drink to calm your nerves, to settle your spirit, to help you relax, you say to the world; Jesus isn't enough. Being filled with the Spirit isn't enough for me. I need something more.

The real question of whether you will drink alcohol or not comes down to who you perceive yourself to be. Those who were set apart in the Scriptures abstained from alcohol. I understood myself to be set apart by God uniquely long before I was a credentialed minister, so I already lived a life of abstinence. I've also seen alcohol destroy the lives of many I loved. I have yet to meet the person who can tell me the story of how it helped them have a better life. It really comes down to where you want to position yourself. I don't want to hang outside in the outer courts where it's ok to drink up. I want to press in to the Holy of Holies with the priests, so drinking isn't for me.

Following the Son,
James A Williams



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Had What I Needed Today. I Always Do.

It’s My Turn To Be The Pop

Christmas Reactions: A Look At The Responses To Jesus' Birth