Is Coffee In The Bible?


I like coffee. 
Here's a few coffee quotes for you to get us started.
"A day without coffee is like...just kidding, I have no idea."
"Ways to win my heart:
  1. Buy me coffee.
  2. Make me coffee.
  3. Be coffee."
"Behind every successful person is a substantial amount of coffee."
"First I drink the coffee. Then I do the things."
"Did you ever stop to think that maybe coffee is addicted to me?"

Those are fun, but back to our title question. Is coffee in the Bible? 
Well, if you know the story of Job you know he experienced incredible loss. Family, business, his health, and more. In the end the tables were turned, the devil saw both God's and Job's faithfulness, and Job experienced incredible restoration. During his time of loss though, he expresses some long poetic laments. In one of them we find this verse.
"They don't return to visit their families; never again will friends drop in for coffee." Job 7:10 (TMB).
To be honest the Bible never really speaks of coffee (the closest we get is "roasted grain") and The Message is stretching it a bit there in their paraphrase of Job. Job is definitely speaking of loss though, and losing the ability to connect with friends would sure be one. Having a cup of java with friends and family is always great. What Job is really expressing is that a loss of fellowship with others is a big part of his loss. 
Life gets pretty busy. In the midst of all we have to do our friends and loved ones make it easier. Today would be a great day to let them know you appreciate them. "A man who has friends must himself be friendly." Proverbs 18:24
Send them an encouraging text, applaud them on social media, or if they're really old, call them on the phone (I've heard old people still do that). Or perhaps, you just might go grab a coffee.
"Great coffee is a pleasure. Good friends are a treasure."

Following The Son,

James A Williams

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Had What I Needed Today. I Always Do.

It’s My Turn To Be The Pop

Christmas Reactions: A Look At The Responses To Jesus' Birth