Why Should We Pray For Texas?



My first prayer meeting was with a group of folks who came ready to pray. We all knelt, and I began to pray for everything I could imagine. I prayed and prayed and prayed. About 5 minutes later I sat back in my chair. I couldn't think of anything else to pray for, but the folks I was with sure could. They kept praying for about an hour. I listened. I learned. (I also kept wondering how long they would last). 
A favorite passage of mine in the Scriptures has always been found in the two little words, "Jesus stopped," Luke 18:40. There's a blind man on the side of the road, calling out to Jesus. Jesus is in the middle of a large crowd at the time. Amidst at least hundreds, but probably thousands of people clamoring for His attention the blind man obtains it. When the encounter is done his eyes are restored. He can see. 
Allow me to pose a question. What if he didn't call out? This is Jesus passing by. God the Son is there, and willing, and able to make him whole. However, if he doesn't call out to Him, in spite of his need, he goes home blind.
In James 4:2 we find the declaration, "You do not have, because you do not ask."
Ultimately we know that our Father is sovereign. He has written of our days before any of them came to be, and has plans for our lives. God is in control. This could make us question the need for prayer. If God is carrying out His sovereign will anyway, then what's the point, we might ask. It's a reasonable question, and the answer is found in the Scriptures. Father has chosen to incorporate our prayers into how He works. He is God, but He chooses to respond to our cries in faith to Him. There are numerous examples in the Scripture of people praying and then God healing, providing, delivering, and more.
Knowing this is how God operates compels us to pray. Our prayer time should be more than simply asking God for things. It's a time for us to draw near to God and allow Him to work in our lives. Yet, make no mistake about it, asking God for things is also an important part of prayer. 
Philippians 4:6 tells us to not be anxious about anything, but to pray about everything. That not being anxious about anything part can be tough, but the praying about everything part shouldn't be. We just have to do it. Pray for Texas. Pray right now when you finish reading this. Prayer works, and God has chosen to include you into His plan for the world. Pray for the rescue workers, for relief organizations, for Convoy of Hope, for government agencies, and of course for those in need. Prayer means I never have to say there's nothing I can do. 

"Father, move in this hour of need. May all those who are trapped by water be found and rescued. Release provision and resources and get it to those in need. Strengthen the tired relief workers and volunteers. May your church shine brightly as we step up and do our part. In the strong name of Jesus. Amen."

Following the Son,

James A Williams

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Had What I Needed Today. I Always Do.

It’s My Turn To Be The Pop

Christmas Reactions: A Look At The Responses To Jesus' Birth