Overflowing Grace


In order to fill the baptismal tank at our church in Yonkers you had to run a water hose to the tank from a sink down the hall. The tank was large and it would take hours to fill. I would generally turn the water on and then go up to my office and head back down to check on it in a couple of hours. Then there was that one day. 
Around lunch time I realized I had forgotten I was filling the tank and raced downstairs. We used to sing a chorus titled, "Let the River Flow." It wasn't the tune I was humming as I discovered water overflowing into our sanctuary. 
Overflow doesn't usually sound like a good thing. Unless you're talking about grace.
Ever wonder if there is enough grace for you? If maybe your sins were too extreme, or went on too long? Titus 3:5,6 says, "He saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior." 
Not only is there enough mercy for you...God gave you extra. He poured out on you. Ephesians 1:7-8 declares that God "lavished" grace on us. When it comes to grace God is downright wasteful. He just pours it out.
As you live for Jesus there will be times where you will remember your old sins. It's good to note that your sins from the past that you can't forget are the ones God can't remember. He chose to forget them when you were covered by his grace. Knowing that should compel us to want to draw nearer to a God whose mercy is without measure. 
I shut off the water that one afternoon and stopped the overflow. God will just keep pouring out on you. You're covered. 
Following the Son,

James A Williams

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Had What I Needed Today. I Always Do.

It’s My Turn To Be The Pop

Christmas Reactions: A Look At The Responses To Jesus' Birth